Health, Exercise, Diet And Fitness (Level 3)
A distance learning course is the ideal way to gain an Health, Exercise, Diet & Fitness award. Whether you're looking to go on to further education, improve your job prospects or expand your knowledge, distance learning Health, Exercise, Diet & Fitness is a flexible and convenient course, which allows you to comprehensively prepare for an exam or career through home study. What's more, because the distance learning Level 3 Health, Exercise, Diet & Fitness course is a fully comprehensive course, no prior knowledge is required.
This course is designed to equip you with the knowledge to begin or develop a career in the health, exercise and fitness industry. It also provides all the information and resources needed to educate people on how to lead healthier lifestyles. The health and fitness industry is becoming increasingly important and dominant in today’s society. There should always be a demand for jobs and career in this industry as people strive to lead healthier, active lifestyles.
Highlights of the course
- The need to be fit and healthy is an essential commodity of life. People are constantly looking for ideas and solutions on how to lose weight, how to exercise safely and what exercise to do. This course offers you the chance to understand what you can do and ultimately need to do in order to lead a healthier lifestyle. It gives you the theoretical knowledge and offers practical ideas on how to set about shaping yours and others’ lifestyles in order to increase health and fitness.
- The course will first of all focus on gaining a sound knowledge base on what we mean by the concepts Health, Exercise and Fitness. It will address the essential components of fitness and examine how these can be tested. The ability to take part in exercise depends on your level of fitness which can be improved through regular training and exercise. Methods of training will be analysed to give practical ideas on what type of training you can do and how to do it. Guidance will be given on how to plan training programmes and sessions effectively. Practical examples of training programmes and sessions will be included.
- This course will also look at factors that affect sporting performance both physiology and psychologically. These factors will determine how improved fitness levels and healthier lifestyles are achieved.
- One unit will focus on the impact of diet and nutrition on health and fitness. Essential nutritional requirements will be looked at and how to compose a balanced diet. The dietary requirements of an athlete will also be studied.
- Injury will be covered in another unit. Ways of preventing injury will be evaluated and discussed. You will gain an insight into how to recognise and treat different injuries and this will prepare you with basic first aid knowledge.
N.B. Completing this course does not mean that you are First Aid qualified.
Your Health, Exercise, Diet And Fitness (Level 3) Course:
The course will first of all focus on gaining a sound knowledge base on what we mean by the concepts Health, Exercise and Fitness.It will also focus on the impact of diet and nutrition on health and fitness.
There are seven units that will give you detailed knowledge about the different body systems and how they enable us to exercise, and the effects that exercise has on them.
The final unit looks at the role of stress and anxiety on sporting performance. It gives an insight into the physiological and psychological characteristics of these two closely connected forms of tension. You will be given practical ideas on how to cope with and manage stress.
At the end of this course you will be able to plan exercise and nutritional programmes for individuals taking into account their individual differences in terms of age, gender, weight and fitness level.
- Study Time
- Key Topics
- Entry Requirements
- Home Study Support
- Home Study Resources
- Further Information
- What's Included
- Possible Career Path
Study Hours are an approximate figure and are dependant upon how much time you can dedicate to your studies and how well you grasp the learning concepts in the course material. Furthermore, at the end of each lesson there is a question paper that needs to be completed and returned to your tutor. You should allow at least 1 - 2 hours of study to complete each question paper.
The approximate amount of time required to complete the Health, Exercise, Diet And Fitness (Level 3) course is: 100 Hours
The Level 3 in Health, Exercise, Diet & Fitness course is divided into fifteen comprehensive modules:
- Unit 1 – Defining the Concepts Health, Exercise and Fitness
- Unit 2 – Understanding the components of Fitness and how to test them
- Unit 3 – Ways to improve Fitness – training methods
- Unit 4 – Planning Training and Fitness Programmes
- Unit 5 – Factors affecting Sporting Performance
- Unit 6 – Safety in Sport
- Unit 7 – Diet and Nutrition
- Unit 8 – Body systems – the skeletal system
- Unit 9 – The muscular system
- Unit 10 – The Cardiovascular System
- Unit 11 – The Respiratory System
- Unit 12 – The Digestive System
- Unit 13 – The Nervous System
- Unit 14 – The Endocrine System
- Unit 15 – Stress and Anxiety in Sport
This course is marked through a process of continuous assessment guided by your tutor following ABC guidelines. This means that your qualification will be awarded according to your performance on assessments rather than by taking an exam.
We send the full course out with the units listed above, you then read through the course in your own time and complete the assignments which you send to your tutor for marking. There is no word count for these assignments. However, one sentence answers will be rejected and you will have to re-submit it for marking.
Upon verification of the activities, exercises and assignments, a certificate of achievement will be awarded by ABC Awards, as confirmation that your written work has met all of the learning outcomes and assessment criteria for the programme.
Entry RequirementsNo Entry Requirements
The good news is that no prior learning knowledge or experience is essential to take this course. This course is openly available to anyone wishing to learn more about Health, Exercise, Diet & Fitness and would like to take part in a highly rewarding home study course. We believe that everyone should have the opportunity to expand their knowledge and study further, so we try to keep our entry requirements to a minimum.
You have the freedom to start the course at any time and continue your studies at your own pace for a period of up to 12 months from initial registration with full tutor support.
Home Study Support
You will be provided with comprehensive materials designed to provide you with everything required to complete your course. You will have your own personal tutor helping you with your course work and with any questions you may have. Plus you can contact our Student Advisors by email or phone for all the practical advice you may need – so we really are with you 100%.
What's more, you'll have access to the online student portal, where you can interact with other students, browse our resource library and manage your account.
Home Study Resources
You will be provided with comprehensive materials designed to provide you with everything required to complete your course of study. Your course fee covers all textbooks, study folders, and/or online learning aids designed for distance learning.
This Level 3 Exercise,Diet Fitness & Health Course pack includes the Student Handbook with all relevant information that you would need to successfully complete the course.
ABC Level 3 Award in Health, Exercise, Diet & Fitness
This course is Quality Assured by the Quality Licence Scheme
At the end of this course successful learners will receive a Certificate of Achievement from ABC Awards and a Learner Unit Summary (which lists the details of all the units the learner has completed as part of the course).
The course has been endorsed under the ABC Awards Quality Licence Scheme. This means that the provider has undergone an external quality check to ensure that the organisation and the courses it offers, meet certain quality criteria. The completion of this course alone does not lead to an Ofqual regulated qualification but may be used as evidence of knowledge and skills towards regulated qualifications in the future.
The unit summary can be used as evidence towards Recognition of Prior Learning if you wish to progress your studies in this sector. To this end the learning outcomes of the course have been benchmarked at Level 3 against level descriptors published by Ofqual, to indicate the depth of study and level of demand/complexity involved in successful completion by the learner.
The course itself has been designed by UK Learning to meet specific learners' and/or employers' requirements which cannot be satisfied through current regulated qualifications. ABC Awards endorsement involves robust and rigorous quality audits by external auditors to ensure quality is continually met. A review of courses is carried out as part of the endorsement process.
Possible Career Path
As a fitness instructor, you would lead and organise group and individual exercise programmes to help people to improve their health and fitness. You would either instruct a range of activities or specialise in a particular area such as: keep fit, aquacise (exercise in water), weight training, yoga and Pilates. Your work could include: carrying out fitness assessments, consultations and inductions with new clients, demonstrating routines for clients to follow, showing clients how to use exercise machines and free weights properly, supervising clients to make sure that they are exercising safely and effectively, leading group exercise classes such as circuit training, aerobics or spinning and designing personal exercise programmes. You may also give advice on healthy eating and lifestyle. You could work with specialist groups of people, such as older adults, children, people with disabilities or clients referred by doctors. In smaller clubs you may also carry out routine duties, such as reception, health and safety checks and pool operations.
Find out more about the Job Role for Fitness Instructor .
Another possible career path is that of a Personal Trainer
Our online courses are fully digitised so you can study on any smart device. Your learning programme is completely flexible so you can study at a pace that suits you. All our content is broken down into bite size chunks to make your learning more manageable and effective. Your course of study is broken down into units and sections, each of which contains lessons, activities and test papers. Courses are delivered on our Digital Learning Environment allowing you to study from anywhere on any smart device as long as you have access to the Internet. The course concludes by preparing you for examination using past papers in your chosen subject.
As a student, your course fee covers everything you will need to successfully complete the Exercise, Fitness and Health home study course and earn your award:
- Online study materials to enable the student to successfully complete the course.
- Completion Certificate
- Tutor marked assessments (TMAs)
- Access to the online student portal (Student Chat, Forums and Online Support Resources)
- NUS Extra Card (discounted membership)
- One year educational support by e-mail.
You can also choose to pick from following while you are enrolling and avail the services at a highly discounted price for our students.
GOOGLE ANDROID TABLET:
Makes your assignment submission and study on the move an absolute breeze. Available at a reduced price of £69.99 (RRP £99) to all students who enrol on 2 or more courses and pay for their course in full at the time of enrolment. Download your study materials and turn commuting time into profitable study time.
12 MONTH COURSE INSURANCE :
Reordering a course pack, if you have damaged yours, can be costly. You can usually expect to pay a huge price for a copy. The 12 month insurance Cover will meet the cost for you if your pack was damaged. We will send out another Course Pack at no extra cost if you send us a proof of the damaged course.
LEARNING FOR LIFE:
We support our students even after they have graduated from the college. Learning for Life Services include:
1. Academic Reference: We are often asked to provide references for students by employers or colleges and universities. The aims of an academic reference are to confirm facts (confirm accuracy of statements made in any application) and to provide relevant opinion on the candidate's aptitude and ability.
2. CV Refresh Service: When you successfully complete your course you will be entitled to our CV refresh service. We will update your current CV to ensure that your new skills and achievements are presented to the highest standard. We will also add your CV to databank of our sister company www.twindo.co.uk
3. 25% off Courses: *(This offer cannot be used in conjunction with any other offers)
For all students who successfully complete their course, you will be entitled to 25% off any future courses through eDistance Learning or it's partners.
Furthermore this offer will be extended to your family and friends.
Further InformationAward Level: Level 3 Award Awarding Body: ABC Awards (www.abcawards.co.uk) Format: Online
If your course is being delivered online, please ensure you meet the minimum requirements below.
Windows 98, 2000, XP, Vista, Windows 7 - Acrobat Reader 4.0 and above
Mac OS X, Mac OS 9.2 - Acrobat Reader 4.0 and above
From time to time we may enrol our students with our partner sites; this is dependent on the number of students enrolling on a particular course and course material availability. If this happens, nothing changes for you other than the name of the college administering your course. We will continue to be your point of contact; you will get the exact same course you have enrolled on with the same high level of quality content and support.
This course can be enrolled upon by students internationally. There are no deadlines for enrolments.
WHAT TO DO NOW?
Step One: It's simple - all you need to do now is choose whether you want to pay in instalments or in full and then click on the relevant enrolment button at the top of this page.
Step Two: Once you have selected your payment option to enrol you will be redirected (this can take a few seconds) to our PayPal payment page for you to select your payment method and complete your enrolment.
Step Three: Within 7 days (normally 48 hours) your enrolment papers and course materials will be with you. A tutor and a dedicated support advisor will also be allocated to you.
That's it..... Thanks and wishing you the best of luck with your studies.
About ABC Awards
ABC Awards is a leading national Awarding Organisation, regulated by Ofqual, and the Welsh Government for their qualifications on the national framework i.e. the Qualifications and Curriculum Framework (QCF). It has a long-established reputation for developing and awarding high quality vocational qualifications across a wide range of industries.
As a registered charity, ABC Awards combines 180 years of examination and assessment expertise but also implements a responsive, flexible and innovative approach to the needs of our customers They are committed to developing qualifications, which help learners and organisations, by cultivating the relevant skills for learning, skills for employment and skills for life.They work with over 600 centers nationally and many tens of thousands of learners achieve an ABC Awards’ qualification each year.
How do I contact my tutor and submit assignments?
Will my tutor answer my support requests quickly?
How long do I have to complete the course?
Can I extend my tutor support if I do not complete within 12 months?
Are there any exams?
How does distance learning work?
When can I start the course?
How long do the courses take?
I want to buy a course that is not on the course list. What do I do?
Do the courses have tutorial support?
Is the course work done online or sent via the internet?
Is there a time limit or any deadlines?
Will I have to sit an examination?
How quickly will I receive my course material?
I wish to cancel my course. How do I do this?
Do I have to buy any other materials?
I’m not sure of what course I should take? Can you help?
Why choose eDistance Learning?
Please contact us if you have not found the answer you are looking for.
How is the course structured?
The Level 3 in Health, Exercise, Diet & Fitness course is divided into fifteen comprehensive modules:
Defining the Concepts Health, Exercise and Fitness
- What is Health?
- Physical, social and mental health
- What is exercise?
- Types of exercise – Sports Continuum
- The Sports Continuum
- What is fitness?
- Health benefits of taking part in regular exercise
- Ten reasons to get more active
- Health related components of fitness
- Skill related components of fitness
- Comparison of health and skill related fitness
Understanding the components of Fitness and how to test them
- Definition of the components of fitness
- Detained analysis of each component
- Why do we want to test our fitness?
- Measuring the components of fitness
- Components of fitness needed for different sporting activities
Ways to improve Fitness – training methods
- How the body generates energy for exercise
- The Creatine Phosphate system
- The Lactic Acid system and Oxygen debt
- The Aerobic system
- Analysis of different training zones
- Principles of SPORT
- FITT principles
- Methods of training :- Continuous, Fartlek, Interval, Weight Training, Plymetrics, Flexibility Training and Circuit Training
- Examples of training sessions for each training method
Planning Training and Fitness Programmes
- Physiological and psychological benefits of warming up
- Cool down – reasons why it is important
- Phases of a warm up:- body temperature raising, stretching and skill development
- Planning a training programme
- Applying the SPORT and FITT principles of training
- Periodisation – off season, pre season, peak season and transitional period
- Planning a training session:- warm up, main activity and cool down
- Examples of training programmes and sessions
Factors affecting Sporting Performance
- Factors affecting sporting performance – Age, Gender, Personality, Lifestyle, Environment, Injury, Illness, Diet, Body Type and Drugs
- Social Drugs:- how smoking and alcohol affect sporting performance
- Other social drugs and their effect on sporting performance
- Types of performance enhancing drugs
- Examples and effects of performance enhancing drugs
- Blood doping
Safety in Sport
- How to prevent injury:- environment, clothing and equipment, fair competition, obeying the rules and warm up and cool down
- Causes of sports injuries
- Accidental injuries, overuse injuries, chronic injuries
- Examples of sports injuries:- soft tissue, skin and Hard tissue injuries
- Injuries, symptoms and treatment
- RICE procedure
- More serious injuries
- Assessing the casualty’s condition – DRACB
- How to treat an unconscious casualty
- Emergency action plan
- Other conditions that can influence sports performance
Diet and Nutrition
- A balanced diet
- The essential groups of nutrients
- Macronutrients and Micronutrients
- Diet and exercise
- The importance of each nutrient for exercise
- Energy and diet:- metabolic rate and physical activity level
- Energy in food
- Energy equations
- The athlete’s diet:- day of competition, after the event and Glycogen loading
- Common eating disorders
- Healthy eating
- Food pyramids
- Examples of diets
Body systems – the skeletal system
- Outline of the different body systems
- The human skeleton
- Functions of the skeleton: Ossification
- Types of bone
- The skeletal frames:- axial and appendicular
- Exercise and the bones
- Definitions of fixed, slightly movable and synovial joints
- A typical synovial joint structure
- Movement patterns at synovial joints
- How exercise can help improve the skeletal system
The muscular system
- Functions of muscles
- Types of muscle tissue
- Skeletal muscles – structure and functions
- Muscular contractions:- isotonic, isometric and isokinetic
- How muscles are attached to bones
- Muscle fibres:- slow and fast twitch
- Characteristics of muscle fibres and exercises they relate to
- Major muscles in the human body:- location and function
- Exercises to strengthen the muscles
- Benefits of warming up the muscles
The Cardiovascular System
- What parts of the body make up the Cardiovascular System
- Functions of the Cardiovascular System
- The double pumping action of the heart
- Pulmonary circulation
- Systemic circulation
- Structure of the heart
- Blood flow through the heart
- How does the heart pump blood
- Blood vessels:- arteries, veins and capillaries
- The heart and exercise
- Heart rate – measuring the pulse
- What happens to our Cardiovascular System when we exercise
- Long term effects of training on the Cardiovascular System
- Components and functions of blood
- The blood and exercise
- Blood Pressure – measuring Blood Pressure
- Factors affecting Blood Pressure
The Respiratory System
- Structure of the Respiratory System
- How air passes through the body
- Pulmonary ventilation
- The mechanics of breathing
- Inspiration and expiration
- How we get oxygen to the working muscles
- External respiration
- Internal respiration
- Capacity for exchanging gases
- The Respiratory System as we exercise
The Digestive System
- What is digestion?
- Energy molecules in food
- Chemical digestion
- Physical digestion
- The digestive process
- Parts of the Digestive System and their functions
- What is an enzyme
- Food enzymes
- Digestive enzymes
- The Digestive System and exercise
The Nervous System
- Basic functions of the Nervous System
- Parts of the Nervous System
- The Central Nervous System – parts of the brain
- The Spinal Cord
- The Peripheral Nervous System:- Sympathetic and Autonomic Nervous Systems
- Reflex actions and conditioned reflexes
- Receptor organs
- The Nervous System and Sport
The Endocrine System
- Hormone producing organs and body parts
- The Endocrine System and exercise
Stress and Anxiety in Sport
- Defining Anxiety – Cognitive and Somatic
- Types of Anxiety
- Anxiety and Sport
- The causes of Stress
- Symptoms of Stress
- Stress management
- Stress management techniques
Our aim is to provide you with the best deal available, therefore the registration fee, certification fee and full tutor support is included in the course price for you. The enrolment fee for the Exercise, Fitness & Health home study course is £373.75 , though for a limited time we are offering you the opportunity to pay only £299 which is a 20% discount if you enrol online and pay in full.
You can also opt for our Easy Payment Plan and enrol online today by paying a deposit of £74.75 and then four equal payments of £74.75 per month. The first instalment is paid about a month after you receive your course.
Custom Payment Plan
You can propose a custom payment plan below in order to pay for your course. Please use the sliders above the table to configure your custom plan and then fill out the attached form. One of our course advisors will contact you with a decision regarding your plan.
Please select the amount you would like to pay each month
Please selection the amount of months you wish to pay over
Payment Length (months)
*Please note: One of our course advisors will attempt to create an instalment agreement based on the figures you have entered above, however the actual amount and length of the agreement may vary.Submit Proposal
With paper and cd-rom course formats, we offer delivery options to many different countries. Please see the table below for more information.
|UK MAINLAND||EU DELIVERY||INTERNATIONAL DELIVERY|
Write a reviewYour Name:
Your Review: Note: HTML is not translated!
Rating: Bad Good
Enter the code in the box below: