A distance learning course is the ideal way to gain a Geography IGCSE. Whether you're looking to go on to further education, improve your job prospects or expand your knowledge, distance learning IGCSE Geography is a flexible and convenient course, which allows you to comprehensively prepare for the IGCSE Geography exam through home study. What's more, because the distance learning IGCSE Geography Course is a fully comprehensive course, no prior knowledge is required.
Geography is the study of the Earth, its physical form and features, its political and physical divisions, the climate, productions and populations of
different countries. By understanding the Earth, we give ourselves a much better chance of understanding the present and making the right decisions that will affect our future.
Objectives of the IGCSE Geography Course
The Edexcel IGCSE in Geography enables students to:
- Apply and build on the fundamental building blocks of geographical knowledge
- Actively engage in the process of geographical enquiry to develop as effective and independent learners and as critical and reflective thinkers with enquiring minds
- Develop their knowledge and understanding of geographical concepts and appreciate the relevance of these concepts to our changing world
- Develop a framework of spatial awareness in which to appreciate the importance of the location of places and environments from a local to global scale
- Appreciate that people have different views of, and attitudes to, the world, its environments and its issues
- Develop and apply practical geographical enquiry skills
- Undertake geographical investigations that include both primary and secondary data collection and presentation, analysis and drawing conclusions
- Develop and apply their learning to the real world through fieldwork
- Develop their awareness of global issues and recognise the need for a sustainable future.
Key features and benefits of the qualification
- It adds an international dimension to the study of geography.
- It encourages practical enquiry skills that underpin knowledge and understanding of geography.
- Assessment is through one externally-assessed examination.
- It provides a solid basis for progression to GCE AS and Advanced qualification
- in geography, or equivalent qualifications such as BTEC Nationals in Travel and Tourism and land-based subjects.
Your IGCSE Geography Course:
The study of geography is of vital importance in a changing world and this course will assist you in developing an appreciation of the differences and similarities between the environment, human societies and cultures. The study of Geography will also develop an appreciation of the importance of the location of places and environments, both locally and globally. By studying IGCSE Geography will also assist you in your understanding of people's responsibilities as global citizens and the ways in which you can contribute to a future that is both sustainable and inclusive.
- Study Time
- Key Topics
- Entry Requirements
- Home Study Support
- Home Study Resources
- Further Information
- What's Included
- Possible Career Path
Study Hours are an approximate figure and are dependant upon how much time you can dedicate to your studies and how well you grasp the learning concepts in the course material. Furthermore, at the end of each lesson there is a question paper that needs to be completed and returned to your tutor. You should allow at least 1 - 2 hours of study to complete each question paper.
The approximate amount of time required to complete the IGCSE Geography course is: 1 Year
The course is designed to match the Exexcel 4GE0 specification and is divided into six modules, as follows:
- Geographical Skills
- River Environments
- Coastal Environments
- Economic Activity and Energy
- Urban Environments
- Fragile Environments
The course includes 8 practical and virtual fieldwork opportunities, and enables students to develop a range of geographical skills as they work with maps, diagrams, graphs, statistics, photographic images and online media.
For each module there are two or three formal tutor-marked assessments which, when completed, should be sent to your tutor, via e-mail or conventional post. All of the information within the units is written in line with the requirements of the examination board specification and the demands of the examination.
All units are broken down into clear subject topics, and students should spend the amount of time studying for each topic as advised by their course tutor. Each topic module has been written for ease of understanding and topic coverage may be of different length and difficulty depending on the level of detail and information required. You will need to study the modules in the sequence provided.
Entry RequirementsNo Entry Requirements This course is openly available to anyone wishing to learn more about Geography and would like to take part in a highly rewarding home study course. We believe that everyone should have the opportunity to expand their knowledge and study further, so we try to keep our entry requirements to a minimum. You have the freedom to start the course at any time and continue your studies at your own pace for a period of up to 12 months from initial registration with full tutor support.
Home Study Support
You will be provided with online comprehensive materials designed to provide you with everything required to complete your course of study. You will have your own personal tutor helping you with your course work and with any questions you may have. Plus you can contact a Student Advisors by email or phone for all the practical advice you may need – so we really are with you 100%.
Your tutor will give you various resource sites to visit and there is extra material in the student support portal. In addition there are several supporting texts books for this course but again this depends on which approach you are following and which book best suits your individual needs.
Home Study Resources
The Geography IGCSE course has been designed as a stand alone course and does not require the use of an additional text. However, to supplement your study we recommend that you explore a wide range of sources, to which the following is a brief guide:
Paul Guinness and Garrett Nagle, IGCSE Geography (Hodder & Stoughton, 2009) Google Earth: http://earth.google.co.uk/ http://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/oswebsite/ http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesize/geography/
The Royal Geographical Society website includes photographic images and other resources useful to project work: http://www.rgs.org/HomePage.htm
Edexcel include lists of resources for IGCSE geography on their website at: http://www.edexcel.com/quals/igcse/int-gcse11/geography/Pages/default.aspx Click on the link and scroll to the section called ‘Resources’.
The Cambridge examining board also include a list of resources for Geography IGCSE at: http://www.cambridgestudents.org.uk/subjectpages/geography/igcsegeography
Edexcel international GCSE in Geography (4GE0)
Download and view a copy of the Edexcel Syllabus for IGCSE Geography
The full IGCSE course and examinations must be successfully completed to gain the qualification. PLEASE NOTE: All exams will be held during the May - June exam period.
Possible Career Path
The course provides a solid basis for progression to GCE AS and Advanced qualification in geography, or equivalent qualifications such as BTEC Nationals in Travel and Tourism and land-based subjects.
This qualification supports progression to: :
- GCE in Geography
- GCE in Geology
- GCE in Environmental Sciences
- GCE in Travel and Tourism
- GCE in Leisure and Recreation
- BTEC Nationals in the land-based sector
- further training or employment.
Our online IGCSE courses are fully digitised so you can study on any smart device. Your learning programme is completely flexible so you can study at a pace that suits you. All our content is broken down into bite size chunks to make your learning more manageable and effective. Your course of study is broken down into units and sections, each of which contains lessons, activities and test papers. Courses are delivered on our Digital Learning Environment allowing you to study from anywhere on any smart device as long as you have access to the Internet. The course concludes by preparing you for examination using past papers in your chosen subject.
As a student, your course fee covers everything you will need to successfully complete the IGCSE Geography home study course and earn your award:
- Online study materials to enable the student to successfully complete the course.
- A full range of student services, including:
- Tutor marked assessments (TMAs)
- Access to the online student portal (Student Chat, Forums and Online Support Resources)
- NUS Extra Card (discounted membership)
- One year educational support by e-mail.
You can also choose to pick from following while you are enrolling and avail the services at a highly discounted price for our students.
GOOGLE ANDROID TABLET:
Makes your assignment submission and study on the move an absolute breeze. Available at a reduced price of £69.99 (RRP £99) to all students who enrol on 2 or more courses and pay for their course in full at the time of enrolment. Download your study materials and turn commuting time into profitable study time.
12 MONTH COURSE INSURANCE :
Reordering a course pack, if you have damaged yours, can be costly. You can usually expect to pay a huge price for a copy. The 12 month insurance Cover will meet the cost for you if your pack was damaged. We will send out another Course Pack at no extra cost if you send us a proof of the damaged course.
LEARNING FOR LIFE:
We support our students even after they have graduated from the college. Learning for Life Services include:
1. Academic Reference: We are often asked to provide references for students by employers or colleges and universities. The aims of an academic reference are to confirm facts (confirm accuracy of statements made in any application) and to provide relevant opinion on the candidate's aptitude and ability.
2. CV Refresh Service: When you successfully complete your course you will be entitled to our CV refresh service. We will update your current CV to ensure that your new skills and achievements are presented to the highest standard. We will also add your CV to databank of our sister company www.twindo.co.uk
3. 25% off Courses: *(This offer cannot be used in conjunction with any other offers)
For all students who successfully complete their course, you will be entitled to 25% off any future courses through eDistance Learning or it's partners.
Furthermore this offer will be extended to your family and friends.
Further InformationAward Level: IGCSE Awarding Body: Edexcel (www.edexcel.com) Format: Online
If your course is being delivered online, please ensure you meet the minimum requirements below.
Windows 98, 2000, XP, Vista, Windows 7 - Acrobat Reader 4.0 and above
Mac OS X, Mac OS 9.2 - Acrobat Reader 4.0 and above
From time to time we may enrol our students with our partner sites; this is dependent on the number of students enrolling on a particular course and course material availability. If this happens, nothing changes for you other than the name of the college administering your course. We will continue to be your point of contact; you will get the exact same course you have enrolled on with the same high level of quality content and support.
This course can be enrolled upon by students internationally. There are no deadlines for enrolments.
WHAT TO DO NOW?
Step One: It's simple - all you need to do now is choose whether you want to pay in instalments or in full and then click on the relevant enrolment button at the top of this page.
Step Two: Once you have selected your payment option to enrol you will be redirected (this can take a few seconds) to our PayPal payment page for you to select your payment method and complete your enrolment.
Step Three: Within 7 days (normally 48 hours) your enrolment papers and course materials will be with you. A tutor and a dedicated support advisor will also be allocated to you.
That's it..... Thanks and wishing you the best of luck with your studies.
Edexcel is a qualification brand for academic and generation qualifications from Pearson. Designed to advance learners’ skills while developing knowledge, Edexcel’s qualifications help learners either progress to higher education or go directly into employment. They are grounded in the quality and traditions of the British education system made relevant for today’s UK and international learners.
Edexcel has been helping people succeed in life through learning for nearly 20 years. Edexcel’s world-class academic and general qualifications include GCSEs, A levels and International GCSEs, as well as some vocational qualifications, including NVQs and Functional Skills.Their qualifications combine a progressive approach with international content, allowing learners to achieve their full potential in today’s global economy.
Edexcel is recognised as an awarding body by the qualification regulators ('regulators') for England, Wales and Northern Ireland. The regulators are the Office of the Qualifications and Examinations Regulator (Ofqual) in England, the Department for Children, Education, Lifelong Learning and Skills (DCELLS) in Wales and the Council for Curriculum, Examinations and Assessment (CCEA) in Northern Ireland
For more information on Edexcel please visit http://www.edexcel.com/Pages/Home.aspx
What’s the difference between GCSE and IGCSE?
Do I need any qualifications to study with eDistance Learning?
What date will my exam be?
Can I study from abroad?
Where do I sit my exams?
How do I find an examination centre?
How much do exams cost?
How does distance learning work?
When can I start the course?
How long do the courses take?
I want to buy a course that is not on the course list. What do I do?
Do the courses have tutorial support?
Is the course work done online or sent via the internet?
Is there a time limit or any deadlines?
Will I have to sit an examination?
How quickly will I receive my course material?
I wish to cancel my course. How do I do this?
Do I have to buy any other materials?
I’m not sure of what course I should take? Can you help?
Why choose eDistance Learning?
Please contact us if you have not found the answer you are looking for.
How is the course structured?
The IGCSE Geography course is divided into six comprehensive modules:
Preliminary Module: Geographical Skills
- Map References
- Height and Relief Features
- Rivers and Valleys
- Glaciation; Coastlines
- Communications and Settlement
- Vegetation and Land Use
- Interpreting Photographs
- Tutor-marked Assignment A
- Simplified Maps
- The Interpretation of Data
- The Interpretation of Data (2)
- Tutor-marked Assignment B
Section A: The Natural Environment and People
Module One: River Environments
- Hydrological Cycle
- Running Water and the Development of Land Forms
- The Uses of Water
- Differences in Water Quality
- Virtual Fieldwork Opportunity: Measuring Water Quality
- Tutor-marked Assignment C
- Measuring Channel Features: Fieldwork
- Tutor-marked Assignment D: Practical Fieldwork 1
Module Two: Coastal Environments
- Physical Processes and Coastal Landforms
- Virtual Fieldwork Opportunity: Measuring Beach Profile
- Ecosystems and Coastlines
- Coastal Ecosystems and the Threat of Development
- The Conflict between Development and Conservation
- Coasts as a Natural System
- Virtual Fieldwork Opportunity: Surveying People's Views on the Management of Pressured and/or Retreating Coastlines
- Tutor-marked Assignment E
Section B: People and their Environments
Module Three: Economic Activity and Energy
- Location and Growth of Employment Sectors
- Virtual Fieldwork Opportunity: Reasons for the Location of Factories or Services
- Energy Efficiency
- Renewable vs Non-Renewable Energy Sources
- Virtual Fieldwork Opportunity: Investigating People’s Views on the use of Renewable and Non Renewable Energy
- Tutor-marked Assignment F
Module Four: Urban Environments
- The Nature of Urbanisation
- Problems of Rapid Urbanisation
- Virtual Fieldwork Opportunity: Environmental Quality Survey
- Urban Land Use
- Tutor-marked Assignment G: Practical Fieldwork 2:
- Land Use Transect Plotting:
- Urban Change
- Social Deprivation, Poverty and Urban Regeneration
- Tutor-marked Assignment H
Section C: Global Issues
Module Five: Fragile Environments
- Fragile Environments, Sustainability, Soil Erosion and Desertification
- Causes, Consequences, and Management of Global Warming and Climate Change
- Tutor-marked Assignment I
Module Six: Revision and Mock Exam
- Revision and Mock Exam
- Tutor-marked Assignment J
Our aim is to provide you with the best deal available, therefore registration fee, certification fee and full tutor support is included in the course price for you. The enrolment fee for the IGCSE Geography home study course is £368.75, though for a limited time we are offering you the opportunity to pay only £295 which is a 20% discount if you enrol online and pay in full.
You can also opt for our Easy Payment Plan and enrol online today by paying a deposit of £73.75 and then 4 equal payments of £73.75 per month. The first instalment is paid about a month after you receive your course.
With online based study you can access the course online. You can then review them in your own time and complete the assignments which you are required to submit to your personal tutor for marking and feedback.
|PAYMENT METHOD||DEPOSIT||INSTALMENTS||MONTHLY PAYMENTS||Price|
|PAY IN FULL||£315.00||£315.00|
|PAY IN INSTALMENTS*||£78.75||£78.75||4||£393.75|
Custom Payment Plan
You can propose a custom payment plan below in order to pay for your course. Please use the sliders above the table to configure your custom plan and then fill out the attached form. One of our course advisors will contact you with a decision regarding your plan.
Please select the amount you would like to pay each month
Please selection the amount of months you wish to pay over
Payment Length (months)
*Please note: One of our course advisors will attempt to create an instalment agreement based on the figures you have entered above, however the actual amount and length of the agreement may vary.Submit Proposal
With paper and cd-rom course formats, we offer delivery options to many different countries. Please see the table below for more information.
|UK MAINLAND||EU DELIVERY||INTERNATIONAL DELIVERY|
Write a reviewYour Name:
Your Review: Note: HTML is not translated!
Rating: Bad Good
Enter the code in the box below: